Thursday, April 28, 2011

Homie, this shit is basic.

Mike called me today.

It was after I woke up at 9am and decided to go ahead and walk to the Food Lion to buy ingredients for a red velvet cake I wanted to make for the senior semester official non-homemade-jello-shots celebration at our editing professor's house and then decided oh what the hell I won't have time in the next 36 hours so I'll go ahead and bake this sonovabitch.

It's not pretty but it gets the point across.

I was walking outside in a flour-covered t-shirt that I hadn't bothered to change because I was going for a run in about two seconds. I hadn't showered and I smelled like vanilla and frosting and had red dye smeared like blood down a forearm. Mike's car glided by and we caught eyes and waved.
That upset me. That made me remember all over again. So I went running.
After, when I was walking back upstairs in my dorm, he called. He said seeing me on campus made him realize we hadn't spoken in two weeks. (Two weeks? That time span sounds odd. But it's true.)
Yeah, I mean...I thought we were sort of going with that. The no-contact thing. As the least painful, least tempting, Jesus-will-approve-and-so-will-our-sanity option.
Now he's coming to my graduation.
That's not as intimate as it sounds; it's a spring ceremony for a public state college and is free and open to the public. A good many people come to hear the speaker and not cheer on some yahoo or another getting a degree.(Hi, Mom!)
But he's coming to see me.
I'm going to meet up with him afterward if that's possible in the chaos. I should somehow explain this to my parents, myself, and Mr. Librarian before it actually happens.
We can haz friendship back now plz?
Oh dear. I'm getting flippant again.

No comments:

Post a Comment