Saturday, November 13, 2010

Another one.

From another science fiction editor of the same magazine:
I'm going to pass on this one, but it was very close.

I love the basic idea. I've even written something similar myself.

However I do see two basic problems. Firstly I'd expect there to be something different about Michael that gave Angie at least a few clues early on. If Michael's supposed to be an experiment I'd not expect him to work perfectly at the first attempt.

Secondly I don't like the overdose as an ending. I'd sooner that she came up with a better plan.

Please keep writing and submit again. I love your ideas and want to see more.
A few things from Your Author:
1. Yes, I stole Mike's name.
2. Hmm. The editor's right about the experiment thing, but this was stealth beta testing. Nobody was suppose to figure it out, especially the other extras.
3. The overdose is of sleep-to-dream serum, so she's not killing herself, just putting herself in a permanent dream state.
But they want more. I think I might like writing a hero-based story instead of stumbling around in mumblecore literary fiction all the time.
Oh, and here's the synopsis of the story I sent in so you know what the hell I'm talking about:
Dream extra for hire Angie becomes obsessed with another extra, Michael, who keeps populating the same dreams she does. Frustrated at her inability to ignite their relationship as a bit player, she works overtime to earn enough money to become a client and gain complete control. While looking for him in their real-world compound, she stumbles onto his face in a computer program that is beta testing robotic avatars meant to phase out human extras. Shocked at first, she then takes an overdose of her remaining dream placement serum to stay with him in the only way she knows how.

No comments:

Post a Comment