Friday, November 12, 2010

Rejection from the outside.

This is the body of an email I got yesterday:
Thank you for submitting your manuscript. If Angie were trying to rise above her confining, tawdry situation to find a living man, perhaps the model for Michael, if she put herself at risk to escape obsessions and other people's dreams, I would be interested in your story. I want to see stories where the characters rise above, grow, take risks to achieve something worthwhile, try their best, recover their souls. When we write about someone sinking down into oblivion, some of our own self sinks, something in the reader sinks too.
You write well. Please consider what I've said when writing your future stories, and I will be happy to read them.
So, my short story "Sleep to Dream" (yes, I named it after the Fiona Apple song) got rejected because the main character didn't stop being depressing. Huh.
You know, I think I can live with that. It's not poor construction; they just don't like the material I used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment